Explore UK charities working across the world
What's the purpose of the site?
This site is an offshoot of a research project which explores the development NGO sector in the UK.
During that project we (Nicola and Dan) learned how difficult it can be to access data from Charity Commission records. We also learned how useful it can be to analyse these data, and that they could be a useful networking tool if they were more easily accessible. So we decided to build this site in order to make these records, which are in the public domain already, more readily available.
Who's behind the site?
This site is a collaboration between the Sheffield Institute for International Development (University of Sheffield) and the Global Development Institute (University of Manchester). It was developed by David Kane and uses data from CharityBase developed by Dan Kwiatkowski.
Dr Nicola Banks
Lecturer in Urban Development, GDI
Prof. Dan Brockington
Director of SIID
Freelance data scientist
Creator of CharityBase
We would particularly like to thank the many staff and volunteers from NGOs and others who provided feedback and advice in the development of the site.
Who has funded this project?
- Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2018.
- Contains Royal Mail data © Royal Mail copyright and database right 2018.
- Contains National Statistics data © Crown copyright and database right 2018.
NGO Explorer and CharityBase are not responsible for the content of the data on the register of charities. If you have any questions or concerns about the charity data, you will need to contact the Charity Commission.
The site also uses data from the International Aid Transparency Initative (IATI). IATI data is published by a large number of aid funders throughout the world. The data used here is sourced from OIPA, a rich API for IATI data.
Where available, the site signposts to other resources, such as national registers of organisations. NGO Explorer is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Where else can I find data?
This site is just one of a ecosystem of resources allowing exploration of the UK charity sector. Other resources include:
- Charity Commission for England and Wales - the official register of charities in England and Wales
- Scottish Charity Regulator - the official register of charities in Scotland
- Charity Commission for Northern Ireland - the official register of charities in Northern Ireland
- CharityBase UK - a powerful database and API of charities that powers this site
- Find that Charity - a charity search engine combining resources on charities from all 3 UK regulators
- Charity Choice
Your privacy and cookies
If you use the data upload tool, any charity numbers included in the data will be sent to the server in order to create a data dashboard.
Tell us how you used the website
We'd love to hear your feedback on the site. Email us at email@example.com